HISTORY & PROFILE

Bengal Tea & Fabrics Limited (BTFL) was incorporated on 16th July, 1983. BTFL made a Public Offer of 1,20,000 Equity Shares of RS. 10/- each in May, 1984 and its shares were listed with a paid up capital of Rs. 20 Lakhs. Subsequently, Bengal Tea & Industries Limited was amalgamated with BTFL w.e.f. 1st April, 1985, as per the order passed by the Hon’ble High Court at Calcutta in August, 1987. The paid up Capital of the merged Company became Rs. 95.47 Lakhs.

At present, the Company is listed in Bombay Stock Exchange Limited (BSE Limited) with a paid up capital of Rs. 9,00,59,850 divided into 9,005,985 Equity Shares of RS. 10/- each. The Company has interest in the business of Tea & Textiles, with a turnover of over Rs. 1215 Millions.

Brief History of Bengal Tea & Industries Limited which got amalgamated into Bengal Tea & Fabrics Limited

Bengal Tea & Industries Limited (BTIL) was earlier known as Bengal Tea Company Limited (BTCL). BTCL was incorporated in 1950 and owned three tea estates in Assam. Ananda Assam Tea Co. Limited having five tea estates also located in Assam, was amalgamated with BTCL w.e.f 1st January, 1970 as per the order passed by the Hon’ble High Court at Calcutta in February, 1971.

In 1972, BTCL acquired the entire equity capital of Asarwa Mills (then having one textile mill at Ahmedabad) which thereby became its subsidiary. Asarwa Mills was subsequently amalgamated with BTCL w.e.f. 1st January, 1976 as per the order passed by the Hon’ble High Court at Calcutta in March, 1977. The name of the Company was changed to Bengal Tea & Industries Limited in 1st May, 1977.

Bengal Tea & Fabrics Limited has two divisions:

Tea division :
The Tea division of the Company comprises of three tea estates having a total gross area of 777.38 hectares and a planted area of 621.73 hectares and an annual production of about 1.4 Million kgs. of Black Tea with a total production capacity of around 2.4 Million kgs. The estates are located in North Lakhmipur in Upper Assam. The names of the three estates are as under:

  • Ananda Tea Estate
  • Pathalipam Tea Estate
  • Bordeobam Tea Estate

The Ananda Tea Estate has been awarded with ISO-9001:2015 and HACCP & ISO 22000:2005 from KVQA Certification Services Pvt. Ltd. accredited with Dubai Accreditation Centre (DAC), Member of International Accreditation Forum (IAF) and Trustea Certificate issued by Control Union Certifications.

Textile Division:
Asarwa Mills, is situated in the heart of Ahmedabad in the State of Gujarat is presently having an installed capacity 63 looms. It was set-up in the year 1900 and is one of the oldest mills in India.

The Division operates mainly in two broad areas Weaving and Processing. Asarwa Mills is engaged in weaving of all type of suiting and shirting fabrics and dyeing, bleaching, and processing of various types of fabrics and at the end of the chain its fabric range goes in to high quality Apparel manufactures in local as well as all over Indian market. The unit has continuously modernized its plant and machinery for technology up-gradation under TUFS. The division has end-to-end complete facility from warping, sizing, weaving, dyeing, bleaching, processing and finishing of various types of fabrics such as cotton, polyester, Bottom-weight and other blends.

The Textile Division of the Company is a One Star Export House recognized by Additional Director General of Foreign Trade and has been accredited with IS/ISO 9001:2008 by Bureau of Indian Standards.